Pupils who attend Oakdale School have a range of complex needs including SLD, PMLD and ASC and do not have attainment comparable to National Curriculum age related expectations – however, pupils will demonstrate good progress not only in the linear areas measured by PIVATS and P Scales but also in terms of lateral progression and functional development.
We celebrate small steps of achievement and recognise that all children learn differently and it is our responsibility to identify their learning style and needs.
Assessment involves a highly personalised combination for each child that allows us to cross reference data and establish a solid picture of attainment, achievement and progress.
We assess each child according to his or her needs and this means using a combination of resources including:-
- Termly pupil progress meetings
- IEP tracking
- IEPs and Desirable Learning Outcomes are smart because we are using consistent terminology
- Reception baseline using a range of strategies including PIVATS, EHCP reviews and EHCP outcomes
- PIVATS for core subjects – English, Maths & PSHE
- Routes for Learning
- Onwards & Upwards (work in progress)
- IRIS behaviour database
- Teacher assessment / observations / annotations & evaluations from planning
- Assessments from other multi agency sources
- Development matters for nursery aged children
- Back to Basics inset to liaise with parents and professionals
We feel, very strongly, that a simple type of assessment will not give a true or full picture of pupils needs and we work hard to support all pupils to be the best that they can be.